If you are familiar with printing then you are aware that toner cartridges are used for printing. And they play a crucial role in the printers. They are better compared to inkjet printers in that they come in powder form. On the other hand, inkjets use ink, which is in liquid form. They offer neat and permanent prints. Furthermore, toner cartridges are popular especially in professional settings because of their higher quality prints and, output ratio and higher volume. This gives them an edge over their counterparts.
The toner cartridges are made from a polymer that’s heated to ensure stronger bonding with the paper. When working with toner cartridges you can expect a cleaner job because they’ll print in powder form. Besides, the toner cartridges can be refilled once they run dry. But the only downside with toner cartridges is that they are quite expensive!
Due to the high prices, other options are available such as refilling and remanufacturing. It makes much sense to the printer user because of the cost-effectiveness. Besides, printer users can get compatible toner cartridges at affordable prices. Brother DCP-L2550DW toner is a good example of a compatible toner cartridge.
How to Refill Your Toner Cartridge
There are two ways to refill a toner cartridge;
- Hire third-party services to refill your toner cartridges.
- Purchase a toner refill kit and do it yourself. The refill kit comes with an instructional manual.
If you choose the DIY method, the following steps will come in handy while refilling your toner cartridges. Essentially, they will help you make the right preparations for a clean and neat refilling job! Read on to learn how to refill a toner cartridge.
- First of all, you need to confirm that the toner cartridge refill kit is compatible with your empty toner cartridge. The issue of compatibility is important because each of the toner cartridges is uniquely done. Toner cartridges are designed by different manufacturers. In some instances, you could be refilling a replacement toner cartridge that was purchased as a compatible toner. It’s up to you to ensure you get the right kit.
- Secondly, as a precaution, always handle toner cartridges with care especially during replacements and refilling processes. They come with health risks in case of contact or even when you inhale the powdered toner particles. Toner is composed of carbon and other types of metals that are harmful when inhaled. Usually when the toner leaks, it can be easily inhaled. The best way to protect yourself is to wear protective masks and gloves.
- Thirdly, you move on to the cleaning process. First, clean the toner alongside the developer roller. Use a mildly wet lint cloth to clean the toner and the developer roller. Watch out for loose toner when wiping the developer roller. It should be thoroughly wiped to clear out all particles.
- Fourthly, fill the toner into the now cleaned cartridge. Once the cartridge has been cleaned, it’s placed in the hopper to allow for easier refilling. You should be careful not to allow foreign objects into the toner. They can clog up the cartridge. But the good thing is that the refill kit comes with a seal to ensure no foreign objects find their way into the toner.
Now you can reinstall the toner cartridge since the developer roller is clean. If the printer has a cleaning function with its software suite, you can run it and print a sample paper for testing. Most printers have the cleaning suite option with their software
A cartridge can be reused about three times after refilling. If you use it more than that, it will lower the quality of prints significantly. However, if your cartridge has issues, you can easily replace it with a compatible or original equipment manufacturer (OEM) toner cartridge. Once the toner cartridges cannot be reused again, they should be disposed off accordingly. The plastic used in manufacturing toner cartridges is not biodegradable.
Therefore, it ends up in landfills which continue being a nuisance to the environment. Alternatively, you can take the used toner cartridge to a remanufacturing company. Some will even pay a small fee for the parts. It’s not advisable to have a toner cartridge lying around living areas. If it’s properly disposed off, then the greatest beneficiary is the environment; which sustains most of our lives through mutual coexistence.